Sunday, May 29, 2011

"JESUS IS NOT GOING TO DROWN ... THAT'S WHERE I WANT TO BE"


One of the most compelling stories in the Bible for me personally is found in Matthew 14.22-33. Jesus is walking on the water and his invitation to Peter to get out of the boat and join him on the waves.  Part of me is captivated by the vision of joining Jesus in being part of something immeasurably more than I can ask or imagine.  As a servant of Christ--the safe, the mundane, the routine are a slow death and lost opportunity in the eternally significant work of the Kingdom.

Yet part of me recoils at the thought of stepping out of the boat.

Unlike many people, I enjoy being on the cutting edge of what God is doing to transform people's lives and the world.  But like many people, I don't want to be too close to the edge lest I stumble and fall over that edge.  I am aware of how easily I stumble.

But what is my fear (because that is what it is)?  Am I afraid of failing, or appearing foolish, or having more trouble than I can handle?

Or am I afraid of being truly transformed?

Peter tended to be on the leading edge of discipleship.  He was drawn towards the potential of being more than a mere Galilean fisherman. He threw himself passionately into what he was given to do.  And although he stumbled many a time along the way ... big time; ultimately he found himself in the vortex of the Spirit on the day of Pentecost where 3000 people gave their lives to the transforming power of Jesus Christ.

I once heard it said that Peter inside the boat out on those angry waves was involved. Peter fifteen steps out on the water was committed.  And Peter was in an entirely different place in his faith and his experience (and ultimately his impact) than the eleven who clung to the sides of the boat.

I don't want to be involved.  I want to be committed.

I don't want to be better. I want to be transformed.

And that will require to answer Jesus' invitation to step out of the boat and walk on the water.  Walking with him on the water. And if I have any hesitation at all, I need to remember that Jesus is out there.  "Jesus is not going to drown ... that's where I want to be."


Leonard Lee has written an excellent blog post on this passage from which I have taken my title quote. (Read Leonard's post ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment